Afghan citizens who are legally staying in India may apply for a German Schengen visa at the German Embassy in New Delhi. You can schedule an appointment for submission of your visa application via/at the Embassy’s service provider,
- For detailed information about the required supporting documents, please refer to the website of the German Embassy in Kabul (www.afghanistan.diplo.de) and to this Embassy’s general visa information.
- Supporting documents in a language other than German or English have to be presented with a German or English translation.
- If you do not speak English or Hindi, it is highly recommended that you bring a translator to your visa appointment.
- Please be aware that processing time for your visa request will be approximately ten to twelve days and may well take several weeks in some cases, especially if follow-up is needed. We urge you to present your application in a complete and well-prepared manner!
General visa information:
Depending on the purpose and duration of your stay in Germany you can either apply for a short-term "Schengen visa" or for a long-term "German national visa" for stays over 90 days.
To find out which documents you have to prepare, please read the section below according to your visa type.
A Schengen visa entitles the holder to an accumulated stay of up to 90 days within a period of six months and is valid for Germany, Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland (Schengen Area).
Starting November 2nd 2015, the Schengen-wide Visa Information System (VIS) will be implemented for India and Bhutan. Find more information here:
FAQs [pdf, 322.25k]
The German Missions in Indiahave partly outsourced the handling of Schengen visa applications to VFS Global.
Every client will have the option to submit his/her visa application at a nearby Visa Application Centre.
- shorter or no waiting periods between scheduling an appointment and the actual application
- Submission of applications through authorized third person, unless biometric data need to be colected (see above information regarding VIS)
- courier service for passports
- status of the process anytime retrievable online; SMS updates (free of cost)
- you are saving on time and travelling expense
The use of the Visa Application Centres is not mandatory; the resulting additional costs are to be paid directly to VFS Global
Alternatively, you may also submit your visa application, after scheduling an appointment, to the German Mission of your local jurisdiction.
German National visas:
If you plan to live and work/study in Germany, you would need a German national visa.
Please note that for German National Visas, a personal interview at your German Mission is mandatory.
Please note: The German Missions in India and the German Government do not undertake direct recruitment for jobs in Germany. The German Missions are only entitled to decide visa applications in cooperation with the relevant authorities in Germany in this matter.