Umbrella Programme for the Promotion of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises
GIZ and the official partner Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MoMSME) and its implementing organisations and Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI) jointly aim to create jobs and income opportunities through the promotion of greener growth in the Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME) sector.
The programme assists MSME to modernise and increase their competitiveness, while at the same time considering resource efficiency, cleaner production and meeting social and environmental standards. It helps to improve the business and investment climate for MSME on three levels: 1) by improving the implementation of policies and programmes of the Ministry of MSME; 2) by granting better access to market-oriented financial and non-financial services; and 3) by promoting innovation.
The programme supports the Office of the Development Commissioner and the attached implementing organisations in improving impact and efficiency of some of their most important support schemes.
- The capacity of chambers and business associations to provide services to MSME is strengthened.
- Through the implementing partners SEQUA and Indo-German Chamber of Commerce, the programme draws upon a wealth of experience from the German chamber system.
- The programme identifies and promotes successful business models for private service providers with FICCI and for sustainable and inclusive business innovations with CII.
- With SIDBI and SBI, the programme is working on ways to profitably serve the ‘missing middle’ i.e. small businesses whose credit needs are too low for banks and too high for microfinance institutions.
- The programme advises banks on tools to assess and monitor environmental and social safeguards in the credit appraisal process. Banks are encouraged to promote specific credit lines to finance green technology. It supports State Bank of India in the development and introduction of a financial product that promotes energy efficiency in MSME.