Visa FAQ

Frequently asked questions about visa.

  • Can I speed up the visa process?

    The best way is to respect the procedures and to provide accurate information and genuine documents. A complete application with all necessary documents in good order will ensure a smooth and fast application process. Applications with unclear information and documents of doubtful origin will delay the process as further background checks might then be necessary. Please note that incomplete applications will lead to immediate rejection.

  • How will I get my passport and/or visa back?

    All passports shall be dispatched by VFS. Kindly contact VFS via:

    Phone: 022 67866013

    Email: vfshelpline%27%com,infowest%27%germanin

  • Can I travel to another country while I'm in Germany?

    A visa to Germany will entitle you to travel to any country that is part of the Schengen space. Nevertheless, you might need to prove that you have sufficient funds for travelling outside Germany at some border points (such as airports). It is therefore advised to carry copies of the documents used for your visa application (e.g. bank statements, payslips, health insurance etc.) when visiting another Schengen country. If in possession of a national visa (cat. D), you are entitled to spend three months in another Schengen state for any six month period.

    Please note that the United Kingdom (UK) is not part of the Schengen space. A Schengen visa will not entitle you to travel there. If you plan to travel to UK from Germany, you will need to make separate visa arrangements.

    List of Schengen countries: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.

  • What are adequate means of funding for my trip? How much money do I need?

    This will vary from case to case and depend on different factors such as the purpose of the visit, the financing of the trip (self or sponsored by third party), the duration of the stay or the activities and itinerary in Germany. If you are fully paying yourself, you will need to prove that you have enough means to cover all travel and accommodation costs and be able to sustain yourself during your stay in Germany. If your trip is sponsored by a third party in Germany (friend, relative or organisation), you will need to provide a formal letter of obligation by the inviting party.

  • What is a formal letter of obligation? How do I get one?

    In case your trip is fully sponsored by a third party in Germany (friend, relative or organisation), the host will need to send you a formal letter of obligation (“Verpflichtungserklärung”). This is an official document issued by an Aliens Department (“Ausländerbehörde”) in Germany, stating that the host in Germany will cover all costs incurred by your visit. Alien Departments are the German public authority responsible for foreigners. They are usually located in every administrative district ("Landkreis"), mostly in the town hall of the district town ("Kreisstadt").

  • Why do I need a health insurance?

    As health expenses are very high in Germany, your Schengen health insurance will take care of any unforeseen medical incidents or accidents that might occur to you during your stay. Your health insurance must feature on the list of Schengen approved insurance companies and policies.

  • Do I need to give my fingerprints for a long term visa?

    Yes. Fingerprinting is mandatory for all applicants from India and Bhutan since November 2015.

  • Do I need to speak German for a long term visa?

    Yes*. For most long term visas (marriage, au-pair, study) you will need to possess some basic German skills and be able to understand and use familiar, everyday expressions. You will need to provide the A1 certificate from the Goethe Institute.

    More about the A1 certificate from the Goethe Institute here:

    [* Exceptions to the possession of German language skills can be granted for family reunion purposes]

  • Am I allowed to work in Germany with my visa?

    Short term visa (Schengen, cat. C): No. You are not allowed to take on any paid activity with this kind of visa (unless stated otherwise for rare exceptions, such as research work etc.).

    Long term visa (national, cat. D): If not stated otherwise, you are allowed to take on a paid activity with this visa. In most cases, you will need an official authorisation from the German Federal Employment Agency and/or the Aliens Department. Studies visa holders are allowed to work 90 days per year (or 180 half-days per year).

  • Can I change the purpose of my stay (e.g. from visitor to studies)?

    No. You will need to re-apply for a new visa for the new purpose of your stay.

  • What if I overstay in Germany?

    If you overstay and do not contact an Aliens Department in Germany before the expiration date of your visa, you will automatically be denied your next Schengen visa. If contacted in time, the Aliens Department will examine the reason (e.g. illness, cancelled flights) and decide on a possible extension.

  • What if I get married while in Germany?

    If staying in Germany with a short term visa, you will need to exit Germany when your visa expires and re-apply for a long term visa at the German Consulate General Mumbai.

  • Do I get a refund in case my application gets rejected?

    No. Unfortunately, the visa fee is non-refundable.

  • What happens if my visa application gets rejected?

    You will get a letter stating the main reason for refusal and informing you about your legal options to contest the decision. If you want to challenge the decision, you will need to do so within 4 weeks after the refusal, by way of a remonstrance letter.

  • What should I write in my remonstrance letter?

    If you decide to remonstrate against the refusal of issuing you with a visa, you will have to provide new information that was not included in your original application. Any remonstrance letter which only asks for the issuance of a visa without providing new information will not be considered.

  • How long does it take before I get an answer to my remonstrance letter?

    It can take up to 12 weeks for a decision regarding your remonstrance as your case will need to be re-examined. Unfortunately, your travel date can not be taken into account.

  • What happens if I provide false information?

    At best, your application will be rejected. At worst, depending on the gravity of your action (e.g. forged documents), you might get arrested and prosecuted under the Indian/German law.

Contact the visa section

Telephone service of the visa section (information only):

+91 22 2283 0301 / 2283 9834-35

Mon to Thurs 14:00-15:00 hrs (India)
(Summer CET + 31/2 hrs, Winter CET + 41/2 hrs)

Kindly note that all visa inquiries must be directed to the below-mentioned e-mail address. Please do not use the contact form for visa inquiries.

Email: mumb%27%diplo%27%de,visa  

Kindly note that only inquiries regarding existing applications will be accepted. For general information, please visit our website.