German Consul General Margit Hellwig-BötteEnlarge image Consul General Hellwig-Bötte (© Auswärtiges Amt)
born 11 July 1958 in Kassel, Germany; married
Career Diplomat with 28 years of service in the Federal Foreign Office
Over 10 years of experience with parliamentary affairs
Professional experience in political, economic, cultural and humanitarian cooperation
Experience in crisis management and conflict resolution
Experience in science cooperation and as policy adviser
Experience in administrative reform and change management
Postings and Professional Experience
• Consul General in Bangalore, India, from 26 July 2016
• Head of Division for UN Personnel Policy, Dept. for International Order, the United Nations and Arms Control, in charge of strategic planning and human resources in the UN system (March 2015 to July 2016)
• Head of Division in UN Department, German Foreign Office, Berlin, coordinating political issues in the UN General Assembly (August 2014 to March 2015)
• Visiting Fellow, German Institute for International and Security Affairs (SWP), Research Unit Middle East and Africa (Oct. 2013 to July 2014).
• Ambassador to Kenya, also accredited to Somalia and Seychelles, and Permanent Representative to the UN Environment Program and UN Habitat (2009 to Sept. 2013).
• Head of Division – Comprehensive Security Structures in Europe, German Foreign Office, Berlin (June 2006 to July 2009) shaping German positions in the Organization of Security and Cooperation in Europe and the Council of Europe and overseeing the Centre for International Peacekeeping Operations
• Senior Foreign Policy Advisor to the Social Democratic Party's Parliamentary Group in the German Bundestag, Berlin (February 1999 to June 2006) shaping the SPD's policy regarding transatlantic relations, European Security Policy, Development and Security Policy in Africa.
• Deputy Head - Press Office of the German Embassy in London (May 1997 to Jan. 1999).
• Desk Officer - Parliamentary Liaison Unit in German Foreign Office in Bonn (December 1993 to April 1997) coordinating foreign policy between the Foreign Office and the German Bundestag.
• Deputy Head - German Embassy Conakry, Guinea (December 1991 to December 1993).
• Desk Officer – Unit on University Cooperation in Western Europe, German Foreign Office, Bonn (May 1990 to December 1991).
• First and Second State Diploma in History, Philosophy, French Language and Literature, University of Göttingen, 1984/1987.
• Diploma in Advanced European Studies on Administration, College of Europe, Bruges, 1985.